Friday, January 26, 2007

9th Challenge







Challenge: Locate a few useful library related blogs and/or newsfeeds.

I listened to the podcast and then started reviewing Blogline's Search Tool and Feedster.

Ok...so I forgot about the part about the feeds needing to be library related.

For Blogline's Search Tool, I entered lomilomi to search for feeds relating to Hawaiian lomilomi massage. Of course, nothing came up.

I then entered "Zoo" and found the San Diego Zoo blogs. Wow....this is so cool! The post that caught my interest was "Breakfast with the Orangutans" by the senior mammal keeper. She begins her day by checking on the orangutans at 6:00am every day. Boy, I thought I was an early bird!

It turns out that the zoo blogs contain a plethora of entries from the San Diego Wild Animal Park and CRES (Conservation and Research for Endangered Species).

I then tried Feedster and searched Congo hippos. I found the blog for Wildlife Direct and made my way to the Gorilla Protection blog. Interestingly enough, today's post mentioned thanks to some of the recent donations that were made. I'm currently in the process of assisting a local fundraiser to raise funds to support the rangers protecting the Congo wildlife and it was very uplifting to see thanks being given to our organization's ringleader for our past assistance to the rangers.

Ok...so now I've started blogging and have actually read the directions, let's see if we can find library related news feeds.

I tried out Topix.net and found a library news feed as well as a library news forum. I read a very cute story about a man returning "The Prince of Egypt" along with a check for 47 years worth of late fees. He had checked out the book as a 9th grader and recently found it while looking through a box in the attic.


Now I've tried Syndic8.com and found a bunch of postings about libraries. I found librarian.net, a library weblog...which led me to LibraryThing.com/blog/ that had a cool entry about a bookpile contest they were holding in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The contest asked for bookpile photos to be posted on Flickr with the tag "LibraryThingBHM" for Black History Month.

Here's one of the photos:


Library Thing BHM 006
Originally uploaded by benhbleckley.

Last, but not least, I tried Technorati and found a blog about Learning 2.0 called LibraryCrunch. It appears that he's a veteran of Learning 2.0 starting in 2005. He even has a feed that included his blog on talkr.com...which has audio for every blog...in case you don't want to read.

Ok, so now I have a ton of feeds added to Bloglines. The question remains....when will I have time to read all of the new posts?

No comments: